Thursday, November 10, 2011

Homemade Gingerale

In the spirit of the season... This is one component of a cocktail I am working on:

Homemade Gingerale:
1 c. cane sugar
2 tbsp peeled and grated ginger root
1/4 tsp. dry yeast
1 lime, juiced
cold filtered water


Combine the dry ingredients in a PLASTIC 2 liter bottle (make sure to use plastic so you can manually monitor the pressure in the bottle).  Add the wet ingredients and fill bottle to a little below the neck.


Leave the finished product at room temperature for 24-48 hours and monitor pressure occasionally.  When the bottle is firm, release the pressure and refrigerate.

I need to do some experimentation with the best way to filter my ginger ale.  I will keep you updated.

5/8/14 UPDATE:  This experiment was fun.  I learned a couple things though.  Depending on the ambient temperature when the initial fermentation begins, your bottle may keep fermenting for a while.  Opening the bottle too early resulted in a very volatile and messy experience.  The product after a few days had a pretty profound yeasty, raw dough flavor which I disliked.  I closed the cap and left the ginger ale in my fridge for another week (meaning I gave up on it).  When I retried the ginger ale after that week all the yeast had died and the flavor dissipated.  The finished product was decently carbonated and pretty delicious.  My only complaint was the lime juice didn't taste fresh.  In future batches I think I will omit the lime juice and add it as an additive/ garnish when served.



No comments:

Post a Comment